UK regulatory update – implementation of IRRBB under CRDV
- On 7 May 2021, the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) published on its website – as did other UK regulators – the third six-monthly “Regulatory Grid” from the Financial Services Regulatory Initiatives Forum
- Certain items are labelled as “key initiatives in the regulatory landscape” to get further emphasis – that includes the item summarised in this text
- This Regulatory Grid sets out the regulatory pipeline for the next 24 months and enables firms to plan more accurately for forthcoming initiatives
- The Regulatory Grid is published twice a year to help manage the operational impact on firms of implementing initiatives from the Forum members
- This guidance is important for all organisations within UK financial services
- This particular initiative – implementation of IRRBB (interest rate risk in the banking book) under the Capital Requirements Directive V (CRDV) – is being led by the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA)
- CRDV introduced Basel III’s enhanced Pillar 2 approach to the management and control of IRRBB
- PRA intends to implement the Basel IRRBB standards through a combination of PRA rules and supervisory expectations
About the Financial Services Regulatory Initiatives Forum
The Financial Services Regulatory Initiatives Forum was launched to strengthen coordination between members.
It is made up of representatives of the Bank of England, Financial Conduct Authority, Prudential Regulation Authority, Payment Systems Regulator, the Competition and Markets Authority, the Information Commissioner’s Office, The Pensions Regulator and the Financial Reporting Council.
HM Treasury is an observer member.
Timeline with relevant dates to be logged on regulatory calendar
- The introduction of supervisory requirements and expectations to identify, evaluate and manage IRRBB will take effect on 31 December 2021
All firms need to address requirements to comply with relevant regulatory supervisors.
If anyone has specific questions or needs any advice, contact our specialists.